Exclusive to Sephora Australia, I've been using Clear Skin Daily Moisturiser to blitz a couple of spots (can't always cleanse and tone between yoga and barre classes...) and I can thoroughly recommend it. It isn't as addictive as the Liquid Gold that tingles but leaves skin thoroughly revitalised if you apply overnight.
I've mentioned Australis Velourlips before. Matte liquid lip paints are my passion. I mean, yoga and dance, literature and travel and yoga pants of COURSE, but closely followed by lip paint. I was a teenager in the 90s, so perhaps that explains my deep love of matte lips. I just hate the gloss and goo of some lip products. I want my lip colour to last from the moment I apply it through to when I WANT to remove it! So it must last through me talking, sweating, drinking coffee and sweating, and talking. Velourlips ($10.49 at Priceline) is a cult product and it's so cheap, you can indulge in a few and either wear solo or try blending colours to customise.
I have just discovered Mirenesse concealer and foundation. It's a cult brand amongst beauty and makeup professionals. Now I know why. I've been using the Ballet Pink CC Concealer. It's perfect for lightening under they eyes AND blemishes.
No wonder it's a hit at Sephora.
I'm also using their Velvet Maxi Lift Airbrush Line Treatment Foundation. It is going to make me eternally youthful and spot free while looking flawless. Sold!
I was a teenager in the 90s so perhaps that explains my obsession with matte lips. But I think it's mostly the fact that I am a gym bunny, I drink a lot of coffee and I'm not big on reapplying lip colour. I love a lip stain for that reason too! It is long lasting. It endures. It looks good while doing it. A matte liquid lipstick is a lot like me.
If you absolutely insist, you could layer lip gloss on...but my preference is to keep it matte and experiment with colours. Try mixing a brown with a pink - or an orange with a pink - or even a pink and a purple. You only need a few shades to make an entire new palette.
Here are my top 5 matte liquid lip products and each of them are cruelty free and vegan.
I also love Stone - a chalky, pink tinged nude that is gorgeous alone or with a brown or purple-based liner.
While you're shopping up a storm at Scotty's, add a nude Ben Nye lip pencil. While your matte lip paint will last, pencil can add longetivity AND make your lips look a little poutier if you draw right up to the edges. Do not draw around your lips. Do not.
What doesn't change is that there will be designers who want to keep the makeup pared back to emphasise the clothes and the natural beauty and features of the models.
Your interpretation of the "nude" look is going to work along a spectrum, just as the shade "nude" is not a single pale, pink bottle of foundation anymore.
Makeup brands and artists recognise that there are a range of ethnicities and skin tones and textures to work with. Lancome is one of the best for doing foundations for dark skin.
Here are the essentials and if heavy contouring appeals to you, work that bronzer! Just avoid harsh lines. Blend. Blend. Blend.
- Take care of your skin. No amount of makeup can disguise super tired, blemished and flaky skin. A combination of supplements (silica, fish oil, flaxseed oil, zinc) and high quality, natural skincare is going to serve you well.
- Exfoliate. I love Aveda's Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant for sensitive skin. It is non abrasive so won't aggravate redness or dry skin. Exfoliating removes surface oil and dead skin cells to allow skin to breathe and be radiant.
- Spend on your base. By all means, stock up on $2 eyeshadow and glitter but think about the Cost Per Wear equation. This is going to cover your face MOST if not EVERY day! I am blemish-prone and also have dry skin. I need breathable coverage that will last through a sweaty yoga session followed by meetings and appointments. I swear by:
- Dior Nude Air (gorgeous, light texture and fabulous coverage) @ David Jones
- Dior Skin Forever Fluid (slightly heavier formula but great shades for my skin tone) @ David Jones
- L'Oreal Lumi Magique (excellent coverage, radiant dewy finish) @ Priceline
- Use concealer. Even if you don't use foundation, a concealer magically revives sad, no-sleep skin. Just as you would match your foundation perfectly IN THE LIGHT to your face colour, make sure your concealer is a perfect match. Try:
- Dior Nude Skin Perfecting Hydrating Concealer @ Sephora
- If you are a lipstick junkie, like me, you will go crazy for a nude range that actually really flatters your face! No chalky, zombie lip effect here! I am totally addicted to Rimmel's Kate Moss line of nudes. Not only housed in peach coloured bullets, these shades can work alone or blended and they are beautiful.
- Rimmel Kate Moss Nude Lasting Finish Lipsticks @ Priceline
Such a blissful fragrance - it suggests Hawaiian beaches, sun on tanned skin, endless cloudless skies.
Knowing she was going home to Berlin, and I would be safely Melbourne bound, I know we can both adopt this as our signature fragrance. In fact, it binds us across continents!
Fragrantica describes it thus: Top notes are freesia, incense, chinese osmanthus and tamarind; middle notes are tuberose, iris, peony, orris root and arum lily; base notes are musk, cashmere wood and vetiver.
What's your signature fragrance? Did you first smell it on someone else?
There are three new Michael Kors fragrances just released. He does fresh, sexy and feminine, just like his catwalk shows and his campaigns. I also love Michael Kors WHITE. Available at Myer, David Jones and Sephora.
While we don't have Sephora in Melbourne - fortunately we have a beauty, body and skincare mecca that rivals Sephora for incredible range, knowledgeable staff and cult brands.
and better, with the
Mecca is also home to Nars, Kiehls, Too Faced (OBSESSED with Melted lipstain!) and their own home range of Mecca products. I've used the self-tanner for face and body and love it.
Find your local store or shop online at Mecca.com.au
MAC. So my latest obsession is the Strobe Cream (hello glistening cheekbones and brow!), Flat Out Fabulous lipstick, Snob (so perfect for Paris!) and the glittery, glistening Englightenment pressed pigment for eyes. If you're not already, you MUST follow MAC on Instagram. Incredible.
Pictured is Girl Trouble nail lacquer. Isn't it incredible? Partnered with the Enlightenment glittery eye, it is going to make you into a shimmering superstar. Whether you're the CEO or the checkout chick, you can be a super shining superbabe.