Two moves to hit your oblique abdominal muscles - those ones that suck you in and give you a waist just made for bikini weather.
Side Lying Reach:
- On a mat, or towel, lie on your side with the arm closest to the floor stretched out straight in line with your chest for support
- Hips, knees and ankles must be positioned in a straight alignment (not leaning back or forward)
- Breathe in, exhale and reach your upper arm towards your ankles as you raise your head and chest in that direction (body still in a straight line)
- Release slowly and repeat!
- Option, as pictured above, to have support under the body. Preferable just to keep your arm outstretched for support.
- Position yourself as in steps 1 and 2 above. Lower arm is stretched out in line with body, palm down
- Breathe in, exhale - brace abdominals and raise upper leg just above hip height - no rocking forward or back!
- Advanced, raise both legs to meet, breathe in, exhale and lower. Repeat
- Option, raise top leg and then reach upper arm and head towards ankle for a double side crunch
| || || || || || || || |
Stretch! Extend legs as wide as you comfortably can and stretch towards each ankle in turn. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat if feeling particularly tight through the sides and lower back.